Sand blasting has been around longer than you might expect. Well, the history suggests that sand blasting was first reported in 1870. Someone named Benjamin Tilghman invented a machine for rust and paint removal in 1870. Well, as you can imagine, it was a rudimentary and primitive machine. But future improvements made the machine the way it is meant to be. The modern sand blasting machines we use today came into existence long after that. These days, you will find sand blasting machines in its advanced form. In 1904, Thomas Pangborn reworked on the initial idea of the machine and added compressed air in it. And in 1918, first enclosure was built into it. This enclosure has been a major breakthrough as it prevented dust from hitting the worker’s face. It came with clear screen which allowed them to surround the worksite.
The evolution of sand blasting machines in Singapore
- Sand blasting machines became very well known in manufacturing by 1930s.
- However, many felt that the sand blasting process was too messy. The plant manager was knowledgeable enough to handle it. But majority didn’t warm up to this.
- However, attitudes towards sand blasting changed when the U.S. Navy was looking for a better way to improve the lifetime of their coating systems.
- Usual scraping and sanding didn’t work for the navy. But when they tried sand blasting, it worked like magic.
- Once they were done with it, the Navy realized that sandblasting was a necessary process to keep the adhesion of the coating system.
- Therefore, one can say that this particular project was a huge milestone. It laid the foundation for the protective coating industry. And that was the beginning of the romance with sand blasting.
Sandblasting has evolved
Over the years, sand blasting has evolved beautifully into the current system in Singapore. If you are looking for blasting machines Singapore, then you should know that it is easily available.